The proven DIY Probate Kit
+ Printed forms & stationery
+ Sample application
Step by Step online probate manual
Our Step-by-Step probate manual is online, where you can access it for 6 months. It has a detailed Table of Contents and a search function that makes it easy to find your way around.
To access the Probate Manual you just log in to your online account from the Members tab of our website.
When you buy the Probate Kit on this website your account is created automatically at the time of purchase and you can access it immediately.
The proven Probate application system for Victoria!
We have been publishing our Probate Kit for Victoria since the 1980's, so it reflects a wealth of experience. Our Kit Users love saving thousands of dollars. Two recent kit users commented:
1) "Just a quick note to thank you for a fantastic comprehensive kit, that has made my life so much easier!
Using your kit I was able to work through the process easily and obtain Probate within 2 weeks of starting the paperwork.
Easy to follow, great samples to compare my work to and even the registrar said my application looked good – ‘not the usual dogs breakfast’ that some people bring him when they act without a lawyer!
I will definitely recommend your kit to anyone I know who is in my unfortunate position.
Thanks for offering your service!"
2) "Probate kit was explained well and easy to use. Extremely glad I purchased your kit. Our probate went through smoothly and has been granted. Thank you" (DC)
The Probate Kit includes
- An online step by step explanation of how to apply for probate application. You get immediate access to that online material when you order our kit online.
- A set of pre-printed application forms and stationery that we mail to you after you order (unless you bought the Probate KIt from a distributor, in which case you already have the package pictured above).
- A sample application to follow.
Since the wording of probate applications varies with the number of executors / how many are applying etc. we include a sample application to make things easy. We have many samples, and you choose the one that suits your situation best. These samples are our "great simplifier", turning your application into a "follow your nose" affair.
The samples mentioned above are based on the most common range of situations (based on our decades of experience), in which:
- there is a Will (the signed and witnessed original) and
- an executor (one or more) with the right to apply is/are going to do so.
(Who can apply depends on the Will - to help you work that out here are some typical executor appointment clauses).
Our Probate Kit for Victoria gives you options:
- You can fill out your application by hand, using the pre-printed forms supplied with the kit, or
- You can download our DOC version of the forms, fill them out on your computer and print them out for lodging.
You do not fill out your application on our website. That means we never see your confidential information (which includes details of assets).
We stress that because so many websites contain "hidden links" that seek to exploit you commercially. We view that practice as unconscionable.
How long to get probate?
After getting our DIY probate kit you should be able to prepare an application in a few weeks. The limiting factor is often how long it takes to get a death certificate.
After you lodge your application (which you do "in person" at the Probate Office in Melbourne), they mail your Probate certificate back to you about a week after lodging (provided they don't have any questions they want answered. If they have questions they contact you).
After you get probate?
The Probate document is your authorisation to instruct asset holders to release or transfer assets, so you move on to the asset-release phase.
The Probate Kit gives some introductory information about asset release/transfer, but asset holder requirements vary (so you approach them for details).